Wednesday 1 April 2015

Sketch Challenge no.38

Hello Everyone

It's the start of a new month and so we have a new sketch challenge for you. We would love for you to play along.


You are welcome to interpret the sketch however you want, to create a page, card or altered project.

Guest Designer Badge

As always we have a super, amazing Guest Designer to provide some inspiration.
This lady is a fabulous creator... Jackie Clark.



Hello there! My name is Jackie Clark, and I am honoured to be guest designing for Scrap Africa. A little about me: I am married to my high school sweetheart and together we have 3 young sons and a dog. We live in Vancouver, Canada, and enjoy the West Coast lifetstyle - skiing in the winter and spending time on the ocean in the summer. Most of my work centres around my boys, and I love to combine different media and bright colours into my work. There's nothing I love more than a sketch challenge, and I was so inspired by this month's sketch that I couldn't stop at just one layout - I had two different ideas swirling around in my head, and decided to run with both of them.
I'd love it if you'd pop by my blog for a visit: Scraps of Brilliance

Here's the first page.


For the first layout, I combined gesso, paper scrap triangles, mists, embossing powder, stamping and chipboard to create the backdrop for my photo, sticking to earth tones and geometric shapes for a masculine feeling.

A couple of close-ups.


For a grungy, textured feeling on the chipboard piece, I layered black gesso, embossing powders (which I heat set, them dabbed with a paper towel while wet to lift some away and create texture) and mists



I stamped the background with black ink, and while it was still slightly wet flicked some embossing ink across the background, and added two iridescent embossing powders to the background. You can see the texture it lends to the background in the photo above.

For my second layout, I selected a chipboard frame to use in the place of the frame in the sketch, and built my layout from there, adding bright colours inspired by the photo to the background, and using black lines and white splatters to ground everything.


A closeup view of some of the background work. In order to achieve the patches of blue and pink, I added super heavy paint to crumpled plastic wrap and stamped it onto the background, adding splatters of mustard yellow mist once it was dry to add a little more dimension.


I wanted the chipboard brickwork to look as though it grew out of the background paper, and I achieved this by colouring it with an off-white chalk edger (actually pastel violet), adding script stamping in metallic purple, and then going over the whole thing roughly with beige.



The chipboard frame was painted with shimmering mists and a paintbrush, with details scribbled in roughly with a pencil crayon.


I tucked the flowers in between the layers of chipboard and propped the picture up using foam tape.

Thanks so much Jackie for these stunning pages! They are really fabulous! ;-)
Please pop over to Jackie's blog to see more of her delightful work.

We have some more Guest Designers to share their takes on the sketch.
Let the seeds of inspiration flourish!!

Mary from Greece - she was a previous TOP HAT, she created a soft, delicate and beautiful page for us.


Hello! I'm Mary and I'm really honored to be guest designer at Scrap Africa. I live in Greece with my wonderfully supportive husband and our three children.
I started scrapping a few months ago and I can honestly say it was love at first sight. I'm still in the experimental stage, so I can't really tell which exactly is my style. I love shabby chic layouts as well as mixed media projects. The only thing I'm sure about is that I love flowers and embellishments and I use them a lot.
When I create I feel very happy and I totally forger everything around me. I get my inspiration from my children, from the nature and of course from all those talented scrappers around the world which are sharing their work with us.
I'm very happy to be here as a guest designer and I want to thank Scrap Africa once again for choosing my page!!!



Beatriz Sanchez was also a previous TOP HAT and she created this gorgeous page for us.


Here's some close-ups.



Thanks so much to Mary and Beatriz for their beautiful inspiration.
Please pop over to their blogs, on the links above, and see more of their beautiful work.

The inspiration does not end, as we have the Design Team to share their projects with you too.


I made a double page layout for this challenge and added the detail on the left instead of the right.






















Thanks so much to the Design Team! We really hope that the creative juices are now flowing and that you will play along with the challenge.

We have a gorgeous prize up for grabs.
A random winner will win this beautiful package below from Scrap & Craft.


Scrap & Craft are a Cardmaking and Scrapbooking Supplier.


OUR STORE

http://scrapandcraft.co.uk/
https://www.pinterest.com/scrap_and_craft/
https://www.facebook.com/scrapcraftshop

This is definitely a package to get your hands on! ;-)

Please upload your projects by 14 April 2015.




4 comments:

  1. Wow!!! Gorgeous proyects!!!
    I have enjoyed with this Sketch!
    Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH!!!, muchas gracias por todo y ha sido un placer poder estar con vosotras este mes...sois verdaderas artistas y me ha encantado estar aquí...un beso muy grande!!
    :)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much to you Beatriz! Your page is a stunner! ;-)

      Delete
  3. The GDT and DT works are really amazing and VERY inspiring. LOVE that sketch....hoping to have time to join in - thanks for the inspiration, girls:):)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...